About Healthy Families
Through The Villages' Healthy Families program, support and encouragement is provided to help new parents champion their families and give Indiana's babies a brighter beginning. By building confidence, reducing stress and maximizing the joys of becoming a new mother or father, Healthy Families helps parents and children grow together.
How Can Healthy Families Help?
- Parenting is the most difficult and important job anyone will ever have.
- All parents need support and encouragement.
- Parents deserve a voice in deciding what their needs are and what services and programs will help them.
- Additional information on child development, bonding, discipline, health issues and community resources is useful to all parents.
- Babies begin learning at birth, and the first three years are the most critical to their future development.
- Parents need the most current information on how babies grow, change and develop.
Participants in Healthy Families receive free and voluntary home visits beginning prenatally, or within 90 days after birth. A Family Support Worker (FSW) visits at least once a week for up to one year to help establish support systems, teach problem-solving skills and enhance positive parent-child interaction. Once a family is in the program, they can receive services for up to five years.
Healthy Families can also offer information, education and referrals to community resources. Through weekly contact, each Healthy Families' parent will learn about:
How Can I Participate?
- Recognizing and caring for your baby's needs.
- Discovering what to expect as your child grows.
- Ways to play with your baby to encourage normal development.
- "Baby-proofing" your home.
- Problem-solving strategies.
- Ways to continue your education.
- Community services.
- Budgeting and financing information.
- Employment options.
- Transportation options.
To participate in the program, families must live in the designated county, be expecting a baby or have a newborn less than 75 days old and be interested in child development and related issues.
Getting Started Is Easy!
Call Healthy Families to schedule a consultation and receive a free gift pack, ask your WIC representative to send a referral, or simply tell your OB nurse you are interested in Healthy Families.
219.980.6185 or 877.980.6185
812.279.1707 or 279.1767
Marion County MOM Project